The Kalka–Shimla Railway is a2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow gaugerailway in North-West India travelling along a mostly mountainous route fromKalka to Shimla. It is known for dramatic views of the hills and surrounding villages.
Quick facts: Mountain Railways of India, Type …
Shimla (then spelt Simla) was settled by the British shortly after the first Anglo-Gurkha war, and is located at 7,116 feet (2,169 m) in the foothills of theHimalayas. By the 1830s, Shimla had already developed as a major base for the British. It became the summer capital of British India in 1864, and was also the headquarters of the British army in India. Prior to construction of the railway, communication with the outside world was via village cart.
The 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) broad gaugeDelhi-Kalka line opened in 1891. The Kalka–Shimla Railway was build on 2 ft(610 mm) narrow gauge tracks by the Delhi-Ambala-Kalka Railway Company beginning in 1898. The estimated cost was Rs 86,78,500 but the cost doubled during construction. The 96.54 km (59.99 mi) line opened for traffic on November 9, 1903. It was inaugurated by Viceroy of India Lord Curzon. Because of the high capital and maintenance costs and peculiar working conditions, the Kalka–Shimla Railway was allowed to charge higher fares than on other lines. However, the company was still not profitable and was purchased by the government on January 1, 1906 for Rs 1,71,07,748. In 1905 the line was regauged to 2 ft 6 in(762 mm) to conform to standards set by the Indian War Department.
Ordinary local train halts at the Solan
This route passes through a city named Solan, which is also known as mini Shimla. A festival celebrating the goddess Shoolini Devi, after which the city is named, is held each summer in June.
In 2007, the government of Himachal Pradesh declared the railway a heritage property. For about a week starting on September 11, 2007, an expert team from UNESCO visited the railway to review and inspect it for possible selection as a World Heritage Site. On July 8, 2008, the Kalka–Shimla Railway became part of the World Heritage SiteMountain Railways of India. alongsideDarjeeling Himalayan Railway, Nilgiri Mountain Railway, and Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus.
The Kalka–Shimla Railway was built to connect Shimla, the summer capital of India during the British Raj, with the Indian rail system. Now, Shimla is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh and Kalka is a town in the Panchkula district of Haryana. The route is famous for its scenery and improbable construction.
The route winds from the HimalayanSivalik foothills at Kalka to several important points such as Dharampur,Solan, Kandaghat, Taradevi, Barog, Salogra, Totu (Jutogh), Summerhill and Shimla at an altitude of 2,076 meters (6,811 ft).
A typical passenger train on one of the line’s large bridges
Originally 107 tunnels were built on Kalka Shimla Railway Track and 102 remain in use. The longest tunnel is atBarog. Engineer Colonel Barog dug the tunnel from both ends and could not align them and was symbolically fined one rupee. He couldn’t live with the shame and committed suicide inside the incomplete tunnel. Chief Engineer H.S. Herlington later completed the tunnel with help from Bhalku, a local sadhu.
The line has 864 bridges. The railway has a ruling gradient of 1 in 33 or 3%. It has 919 curves, the sharpest being 48 degrees (a radius of 37.47 m or 122.93 feet). Climbing from 656 meters (2,152 ft), the line terminates at an elevation of 2,076 meters (6,811 ft) at Shimla. The line originally used 42 lb/yd (21 kg/m) rail but this was later relaid to 60 lb/yd (30 kg/m) rail.
Himalayan Queen Train
The first locomotives to arrive were two class “B” 0-4-0ST from the famous Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. These were built as 2 ft (610 mm) gauge engines, but were converted to 2 ft 6 in(762 mm) gauge in 1901. They were not large enough for the job, and were sold in 1908. They were followed by 10 engines with a 0-4-2T wheel arrangement of a slightly larger design, introduced in 1902. These locomotives weighed 21.5 tons (21.85 tonnes) each, and had 30″ (762 mm) driving wheels, and 12″x16″ (304.8 mm x 406.4 mm) cylinders. They were later classified into the “B” class by the North Western State Railways. All these locomotives were constructed by the British firm of Sharp, Stewart and Company.
Larger locomotives were introduced in the form of a 2-6-2T, of which 30 were built with slight variations between 1904 and 1910. Built by the Hunslet and theNorth British Locomotive Company, these locomotives were about 35 tons (35.56 tonnes), with 30″ (762 mm) drivers and 14″x16″ (355.6 mm x 406.4 mm) cylinders. These locomotives, later classed K and K2 by the North Western State Railways, subsequently handled the bulk of the railways traffic during the steam era. A pair of Kitson-Meyer 2-6-2+2-6-2 articulated locomotives, classed TD, were supplied in 1928. They quickly fell into disfavour, as it often took all day for enough freight to be assembled to justify operating a goods train hauled by one of these locomotives. Shippers looking for a faster service started to turn to road transport. These 68 ton (69.09 tonnes) locomotives were soon transferred to the Kangra Valley Railway, and subsequently ended up converted to1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) metre gauge inPakistan.
Steam operation of regular trains ended 1971.
The first diesel locomotives on the Kalka–Shimla Railway, class ZDM-1 byArnold Jung Lokomotivfabrik(articulated with two prime movers), started operation in 1955. In the 1970s they were regauged and reclassified asNDM-1, then used on the Matheran Hill Railway.
In the 1960s, class ZDM-2 built byMaschinenbau Kiel (MaK) was introduced. These locomotives were later transferred to other lines.
Today this line is operated with class ZDM-3 diesel-hydraulic locomotives (522 kW, 50 km/h), built 1970 to 1982 byChittaranjan Locomotive Works with a single cab road switcher body. Six locomotives of the same class were built in 2008/2009 by Central Railway Loco Workshop Parel with updated components and a dual cab body providing better visibility of the track.
The railway opened using conventional four-wheel and bogie coaches. The tare weight of these coaches meant that only four of the bogie coaches could be hauled upgrade by the 2-6-2T locomotives. In an effort to increase loadings in 1908 the entire coaching stock was rebuilt as bogie coaches 33′ long by 7′ wide, using steel frames and bodies. To further save weight the roofs were constructed using aluminium. Savings in weight meant the locomotives could now haul six of the larger coaches, significantly expanding capacity. This was an early example of the use in construction of coaches to reduce the coaches’ tare.
Goods rolling stock was constructed on a common pressed steel underframe, 30′ long and 7′ wide. Both open and covered wagons were provided, the open wagons having a capacity of 19 tons and the covered wagons 17.5 tons.
- 52451/52452 Shivalik Deluxe Express(KLK 5:30 – 10:15 SML 17:40 – 22:25 KLK) with more comfortable chair cars and meal service
- 52453/52454 Kalka Shimla Express(KLK 6:00 – 11:05 SML 18:15 – 23:20 KLK) with first, second class and unreserved seating
- 52455/52456 Himalayan Queen (KLK 12:10 – 17:20 SML 10:30 – 16:10 KLK) with chair cars, connecting in Kalka to the Mail/Express train of the same name and the Kalka Shatabdi from/to Delhi
- 52457/52458 Kalka Shimla Passenger(KLK 4:00 – 9:20 SML 14:25 – 20:10 KLK) with first, second class and unreserved seating
- 72451/72452 Rail Motor (KLK 5:10 – 9:50 SML 16:25 – 21:35 KLK), a railbus originally used to transport upper class travellers, first class seating only, glass roof and possibility to look out to the front
- Shivalik Queen: This luxury coach can be booked by couples or groups up to eight people through IRCTC Chandigarhoffice and attached to regular trains. It has four elegantly furnished coupés with two toilets, wall to wall carpets and big windows. The journey costs 4200 INRfor four couples including lunch.
The toy train at Barog Station.