It is said that one should travel to Samet-Shikhar pilgrimage atleast once in his/her life as it is the penultimate pilgrimage of Jain religion before man’s journey to mortality.
After thinking for about few months or so we decided to go to Samet-Shikhar. We inquired with several tour operators and other relatives as “How to reach Samet-Shikhar”. We heard lot of experience good as well as bad from several people. Many tours and travels operators have special Samet-Shikhar trips / Jatra package available as of now. We decided to plan trip to Samet-Shikhar on our own rather than getting it through any tours or travel agents. It seemed difficult to plan a trip to Samet-Shikhar directly from Mumbai without any idea about the place.
Following set of questions came to our mind while planning :
- Mode of travel to Samet-Shikhar, either by train or by flight?
- If by flight, then should we go to Kolkata or Ranchi or Patna?
- If travel by train, then which are the connecting trains from Kolkata or Ranchi to Parasnath? What are the timings for the same?
- Incase of train travel, how to reach Madhuban from Parasnath?
- How many hours will it take to reach Madhuban from either Kolkata or Ranchi?
- Is road travel safe in that region? By what time should we target to reach Madhuban? Is it safe to travel after sunset or before sunrise to/from Madhuban?
- Where should we stay in Madhuban? Are there any hotels in that region? Is pre-booking required in any of the Dharamsalas?
- What all things are required to carry alongwith?
Several other questions also came to our mind.
One can reach Samet-Shikhar via Kolkata, Patna and Ranchi incase one is travelling by air. If one is travelling by trains, then the nearest station is Parasnath. Please checkHow to Reach section for more details.
How To Reach
Samet-Shikhar is located at a distance of nearly 350 kms from Kolkata. It can be also reached from Ranchi and Patna which are situated at a distance of 190 and 210 kms respectively.
The nearest railway station of Parasnath is at a distance of nearly 25 kms from the tirth of Madhuban. It is also accessible from nearby towns and cities through arterial roads. Motor cars or passenger buses travel along the route from Dumri to Giridih and stop at Madhuban village. Bus service and private vehicles are available.
|1. Kolkata||2. Bardhaman|
|3. Durgapur||4. Asansol|
|5. Dhanbad||6. Dhumri|
- After coming out of Kolkata International Airport, move towards NH-2
- Once on NH-2, dont leave the main road for nearly 300 kms
- You will come across places like Bardhaman, Durgapur, Asansol, Dhanbad and Dhumri
- As soon as you reach Dhumri, you need to get off the NH-2 and move towards your right hand side and get on to the road leading to Parasnath
Route map for Patna to Samet-Shikhar on NH-22